What Are The Different Types Of Silver?
At Southwest Jewelry Buyers, we have a deep appreciation for silver. This Precious Metal, after all, has played an amazing role in the history of Arizona.
It all started in 1855. The California Gold Rush had just ended, and gold was hard to find. So, miners explored nearby states in an effort to find more precious metals, which led to the discovery of silver veins in Arizona. As a result, silver mining began to pick up steam and attract more people to the area.
Thanks to this growing interest in Arizona, it became a U.S. territory in 1863. The rest, as they say, is history!
Today, silver is one of the most popular metals. It’s used for jewelry, flatware, decorative items, medals, and more. Therefore, it’s never a bad idea to Sell Your Silver, because it will always be in demand.
If you’re not sure what you own, take a minute to learn about the different types of silver. This will give you an idea of what to expect when it’s time to sell.
Fine silver is 99.9% pure silver. It’s often called .999 silver or “three nines fine,” which refers to its level of purity. The remaining 0.1% is made of trace elements.
Pure silver is very soft. So, as you can imagine, 99.9% pure silver is also quite soft. It’s easy to scratch and dent, so it’s not the best choice for rings and bracelets. However, it’s ideal for necklaces and earrings because they don’t get bumped around during wear.
Fine silver is stamped with .999 or .999 FS. It might also look a bit gray.
Do you love silver jewelry? If so, there’s a good chance you have several sterling silver pieces. It’s the most commonly used silver, thanks to its hardness and durability.
Sterling silver is made of 92.5% pure silver. The remaining 7.5% is typically copper, which strengthens the finished product. In some cases, it’s made of copper with other metals, like nickel.
Sterling silver pieces are shiny, bright, and stamped with .925, 925/1000, or “sterling.”
If you want to Sell Sterling Silver, you’re in luck. It holds the current value of silver because it can be melted down and refined into pure silver.
Oxidized silver is a dark, dull silver. It’s made of sterling silver that’s been treated with a chemical called liver of sulfur. This treatment is known as controlled oxidation and causes tarnishing, which creates an antique look.
Silver plated pieces are made of a base metal covered with a thin layer of silver. Since real silver is used, these items are shiny and look like sterling silver. Over time, the silver coating may flake off and reveal the base metal.
While silver plating uses pure silver, it’s not the same as sterling silver. There isn’t enough real silver to be considered sterling silver.
Hence, silver plating is usually cheaper and lighter than sterling silver. It also has a low resale value, since it can’t be refined into pure silver.
Southwest Jewelry Buyers Will Answer All Your Questions About Silver
While this list covers the most common types of silver, the world of silver is quite diverse. You might also own metals like Mexican silver, Tibetan silver, silver-filled, or coin silver.
You don’t have to worry about the details, though. Our Jewelry Buyers In Phoenix will gladly examine your silver pieces and provide accurate and fair appraisals.
Should you decide to sell your unwanted silver, we’ll pay top dollar for all your items. We’ll even take broken and damaged silver jewelry off your hands.
Our highly-trained staff can meet with you six days a week. To get a free quote or schedule an appointment, Contact Us at (480)-773-8004.